Handmade Christmas Cards from Recycled Material

Greeting cards are one of the biggest consumerism scams to get people to keep spending and "saving" time on writing sincere messages to their friends and family. Yes the cards can be so pretty that you can easily be tempted into buying some and send it to someone. But the clutter it creates is beyond imagination. I don't encourage anyone to send me cards, nor do I buy any greeting cards to give to anyone. But, as and when I can, I will try to make some cards using used and/or old material (not the type you make from ready-made trimmings and decoration/stickers you buy from the shops).


I have just made 8 Christmas cards (one of them already sealed in the envelope) to send to our family and friends - exactly 8 families. They are all made according to whatever I can find in my craft box: old felt I collected from God-knows-where, pretty pictures cut out from old magazines, old greeting cards, old mince pies boxes, tissue wrapping paper saved from packaging, sequins from old bag/shoe trimmings, etc. So you can see that they all look completely different - absolutely no homogenisation! The only NEW stuff I have used - really - are the envelopes.

At least these cards will be appreciated more when received, as they contained real effort and love put into the card making process.

Comments

  1. They look great I am going to try them, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Upcycled Padded iPad Case from an Old Cancer Research Canvas Bag

Upcycled Passport Boarding Pass Holder from Old Cancer Research Canvas Bag