Make your own multi-compartment handbag

My hoarder nature has lead me to collecting all sorts of bags: free bags from magazines, complimentary bags from merchants, reusable shopping bags, shoe bags, etc. I do use some of them for my food shopping, but one can only carry so many bags so a lot of these bags end up hibernating in the cabinet.

Since my last multi-compartment handbag announced its death, I have yet to find one that looks decent and serves up to my expectation of a handbag. Whilst waiting for Bag O Mr. Right to turn up, I've been using some of these free shopping bags, but there is one problem: they all don't come with any compartments.


I thought maybe I could create something out of what I have in the house. These are what I used:
  1. A good sized black shopping bag I received free from a magazine about 5 years ago (I took off all the sequins on the bag to keep for future craft use)
  2. A small black M)phosis (a clothing label in Asia) shopping bag
  3. 1 of the 2 non-woven black shoe bags that came with a pair of shoes I bought in Singapore
  4. A truly ugly-looking foil coated complimentary shopping bag from Visa
  5. A few black zippers taken out from old clothes, been lying in my sewing box for month, or years
Here is what I did:
Folded and sewed the M)phosis shopping bag onto the outside of the large bag, to make a zipped-up pocket.


Sewed 2 other zippers onto the 2 shoe bags, then sewed them onto the inside of the large bag, on the back of the outer pocket (A).
The truly ugly-looking silver bag is now sewn to the middle of the large black bag, to serve as a big compartment within (B), whilst dividing the bag into 2 more compartments. I've also sewn a pair of velcro strips onto the Visa bag to close it up. I can fit so many things in it, even a standard size glossy magazine.

I now carry this bag almost everywhere I go: work, shop, leisure. It took me about a whole day to do all the stitching by hand, but I spent absolutely nothing whilst clearing off clutter (5 useless bags) so it was really worth the hassle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upcycled Passport Boarding Pass Holder from Old Cancer Research Canvas Bag

Upcycled Padded iPad Case from an Old Cancer Research Canvas Bag