How to make picture frames from excessive packaging

We all like some nice pictures to hang on the walls to make our homes more cosy. The problem is: we're renting at the moment and landlords here are very particular about putting nails on their walls, and we don't really fancy spending so much money on picture frames (mind you, they are expensive and cheesy-looking).

I've been toying with the idea of making my own frames using as much of existing material at home as possible, and they have to be quite light so that I can perhaps stick them on with some Blu-Tack. This way I can remove them and not leave any unsightly holes on the walls. But finding the right material and to come up with a solution aren't easy, and I'm just too anal about my own decisions.

Came last Christmas, my sister in law gave me something that came in 2 pieces of thick styrofoam. I then found some old black sugar paper which I collected from old art projects in college, cut them into proper sizes to wrap these styrofoam pieces up neatly (just enough to cover all sides, the back can't be seen when hung up so can save some paper on that). Then I measured another piece that is big enough to wrap around 3 sides to make a pocket, cut a window in the middle and stick a piece of clear pvc (from my leftover stash) on the reverse side before I stick it on to the box.


After securing the pocket, I cut a piece of thin cardboard to just about 5 mm smaller than the box all round. I then stick a little piece of thick PVC (cut from a plastic packaging box I kept for "future use" and boy did it come handy) on the side of the cardboard to make a tab for pulling purposes. I also gave the cardboard some rounded corner to make it easier to slot it in and out the pocket. Now I have a picture frame and a removable picture backing card. I can now put any picture I like as long as it is slightly bigger than the window, and is placed in the middle of the cardboard.



These picture frames are light so I only needed some Blu-Tack to stick them on the wall, and I can change the pictures any time. By the way, these pictures below are from some gardening magazines.


Since the styrofoam box picture frame is proven successful, I went on to make a few more with other material such as some odd sizes mounting boards gathering dust in the spare room.


These are to fill up some pre-existing hooks on the wall (by previous tenants) whilst beautifying the empty wall.

And the best part of this project is: No money spent on new purchases and some clutter is cleared!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upcycled Passport Boarding Pass Holder from Old Cancer Research Canvas Bag

Upcycled Padded iPad Case from an Old Cancer Research Canvas Bag