Hand-stitched curtains

The previous tenant left behind some very illogical blinds in our bedroom: one side shorter than the other. This left an uncovered corner which allows strong sunlight coming in at 7am which makes the room really hot. We can't even have a lie in on weekends and waking up to bright light gives me migraine for days.

The flat came as it is and we're not allowed to incur any unnecessary cost to the landlord and we really don't feel like spending money on replacing some blinds that are still good. So I thought of putting some curtains over it to screen off the sunlight whilst softening the mood of the bedroom.I tried looking for some simple, plain coloured ready made curtains to go with the window size. Unfortunately, the simple-looking home decor market in Malaysia seems to be catered for very rich people only. So I gave up and went to look for fabric in a fabric store instead.


Lucky for me, I found some a plain off-white thick material and a chiffon-like material with pretty floral motifs on, both are fabric ends and are indeed a bargain.

I did all the necessary measuring and cut them into 2 equal length pieces for each fabric, then hemmed up the top and bottom sides. I then dug out some old buttons saved from some of my old clothes, sewed them on the top panel; found some used parcel strings (from posts and deliveries) and hung the curtains up by tying the strings through the blinds' rail and over the buttons. This way, I don't even need to buy a new curtain rail.


It was that simple, except I don't own a sewing machine so all stitching was done by hand :'(
But the result was satisfactory. I even made a pair of curtain tie backs using an old belt that is no longer in use. The hooks can be removed and reused again, and the tie backs are secured by some old rubber bands tied on the hooks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upcycled Padded iPad Case from an Old Cancer Research Canvas Bag

Upcycled Passport Boarding Pass Holder from Old Cancer Research Canvas Bag